Decor Transfers Do's and Don'ts
DÉCOR TRANSFERS DO’S AND DON’TS
- To begin, remember to remove the white backing before you begin applying your Décor Transfer, the transfers do adhere quickly, once applied they cannot be shifted. Be sure to place it in the right position before moving the backing and placing it on your project.
- We recommend sealing your Décor Transfer after they are placed on your projects, with the exception of glass/mirrors. While we do not have a preferred sealant, any water-based sealant will work including a polyacrylic. We do not recommend oil-based sealants as they may break down your transfer. Dixie Belle Clear Coat is a suitable sealant.
- When applying to glass or mirrors, do not use any chemicals or harsh cleaners before applying as this may affect the application process of the transfer.
- Wait at least 24 hours after painting any piece to apply Décor Transfers. Be sure the surface is clean and that any cleaner residue is removed to make the transfer apply smoother and adhere easier.
- Be sure to remove any dust or sanding dust from your project prior to applying your transfer. Any dust on the surface will make it difficult for your transfer to apply smoothly. Store Décor Transfers in their tube with the lids on to prevent any dust from getting into the transfer.
- Décor Transfers will not adhere onto waxed surfaces. We recommend you make sure waxed surfaces have been cured after several months.
- Be sure Décor Transfers are not being applied onto peeled paint, chips or old varnish that can be easily scratched off.
- Prevent any air bubbles by making sure that you apply Décor Transfers evenly. Apply the transfer with the included applicator or a Décor Transfer applicator tool. As you pull apart the clear sheet, rub the transfer pushing it softly onto the surface.
- If you are using raw wood, barn wood or driftwood, be sure the surfaces are cleaned thoroughly. These woods have cracks and debris that may be hidden and prevent successful application of your Décor Transfer. Be sure to sand if necessary and allow the wood to dry completely after cleaning. Seal the wood with a water-based sealant and allow 24 hours to dry.
- Some Décor Transfers may have reactions with certain sealants such as oil-based sealants. Glossy paint, glazes and other speciality paints may affect the application of your transfer. We recommend water-based waxes and sealants for best results.
- We do not recommend storing Décor Transfers in warm areas as it will be damaged by heat. We also do not recommend placing your transfer in the freezer or refrigerator as this is not a recommended practice.